Sunday 9 June 2013

Perseverance



These words were never yours to begin with.
The kindness you misunderstood as love
From someone who inched themselves from orbit –
Eased from embrace – should be the lesson here.

Here is the fable of unlearnt truths:
That shoe will not fit, not that kiss revive
Any of your passions; your heart stutters.
Service. Fault. Your only story is that.

That is why it shifts into an eclipse.
Still yourself in darkness, it is all yours,
String stars as an abacus of failure.
Bright points can belie their distance from you.

You have nothing in the way of magic.
That is why the rabbit hides in the hat.
Here is the astounded audience: you.
These words were never yours to begin with.

2 comments:

  1. This is dark, and sad. I'm not sure what it means, or as I know you, I guess I'm not sure what it means to you. I like the implied tennis analogy as a metaphor for failure. It feels as if you're writing about a theft of trust, and a disappointment... or a failing of confidence. I'll have to ask you about it when we next speak. Very nicely done, even if it's not 'nice' - darkly done, perhaps? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes, it's about writer's block, and very sorry for myself I was feeling too!! I was just going to discard it as I thought it was all too maudlin but thanks to your comments,I might go back, hack it around a bit!

    ReplyDelete