Monday 12 November 2012

D is for...Derailed

Derailed
You hit me like a freight-train, and I didn’t even realise,
I’d been missing you all along, but saying I’m cool.

No, that’s wrong.

You sounded an alarm, right tight in my chest,
Heart stretched to burst, saying I’m good.

No, that’s worse.

You rattled by near me, stopping the tracks,
Made when I’d lie, saying I’m fine.

No, that’s why,
I never let go, never relaxed, the face with my friends fake like wax.

And you stopped me right there, in front of that place, the place I’d taken refuge, that place with that pace, that never

Stopped.
You’ve got me derailed. You’ve got me going slow. You’ve got me to look at myself as though,
I’m someone finally with something to say, and you’re there behind me every step of the way.

Ladies and Gentleman, sorry for the delay,
Yes, I think I’ve finally worked out something to say.
Let’s begin… 

3 comments:

  1. Love this Tash - very simple, yet powerful and oddly I can somehow relate...

    Welcome to the blog, a hugely successful first post in my humble opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Jaime's said, welcome to the blog. I love the train imagery and language, and the announcement at the end works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start Tash, really like the way the rhyme creeps up on the reader as if it too is delayed - a nice effect. I hope you're not suffering terrible writers block like me - I look forward to seeing you next poem! I will put up an F (and who knows, I may even finally put a D up weeks late...)

    ReplyDelete