Thursday 6 December 2012

F is for..... Fruit Pyramid



When I thought about F, I first thought about what I had done for E. Then it came to me and I thought this would be quite interesting to try. The fruit didn't behave the way I'd hoped, but I'm really glad that it didn't fall apart.







As it's that time of year again, I've also decided to add to the festive season with a German tradition. So here goes....

F is for..... Festive Season


The modern style advent wreath unlit
I love this time of yer, purely because you can decorate your house with all sorts of nice lights, scenes, figurines, tacky blow up Santas or Snowmen etc etc. I love our traditions and live them out as best as I can in a land where multi coloured lights are the hight of tackiness.

There is one German tradition that I find nice though. The Advent time. Its origines are religious and counts down the time till Jesus was born. Christmas Eve is the time when the Germans celebrate Christmas. For this time and to count down till Christmas, you need to get a wreath with 4 candles. Starting on the first Sunday in December, you light a candle till all 4 are lit, by which time Christmas Eve is just a hop, skip and a jump away.

As a child I learnt a nice song for this time of year 'Advent, Advent ein licht-lein brennt. Erst eins, dann zwei, dann drei, dann vier. Dann steht dass Christkind vor der Tür'. Translated it means 'Advent, advent a light is a flame. First one, then two, then three, then four. Then baby Jesus will be at your door.'

As I got fed up with the traditional wreaths I decided to make a new modern style wreath this year. On Sunday I will add another couple of pictures with firstly 1 candle lit and then with 2 candles lit :)

As promised and as it is the 2nd Advent today, here are pictures of the 1st and 2nd canle lit.

With the 1st candle lit signalling the 1st Advent
With the 2nd candle lit, signalling the 2nd Advent

6 comments:

  1. Love the idea of the fruit pyramid, wicked.

    I also like your Xmas wreath, and the story behind it - makes more sense to me now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really was the first thing that came to mind nd it didn't want to make room for anything else lol.

    Thanks. Yeah without knowing the reason behind it, it really doesn't make sense. Thought I'd told you about it though... Must be getting senile lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fruit pyramid should inspire new models for five a day campaigns... :) Love it!
    The advent story and the image are really interesting, I knew that Christmas Eve was the big celebration day in Germany but I didn't know about the advent candles. Who would have thought this blog would turn out to be so educational? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha very true :D Yes although I don't understand why. The Germans (or better said: some Germans) work till around 2pm on Christmas Eve, they then go food shopping and possibly some last min pressies. Then they still have to put the tree up (although in some homes it's put up on anytime between the 20th and 24th) and then still cook, go to church and celebrate Christmas by singing under the tree and exchanging gifts. It's all too hectic for my liking. I prefer the English Christmas, it's much more relaxed and you actually have time for the family.
    I totally agree, I'm in awe of the people who write and if my brain wasn't so addled I would comment on them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this, and they also work well together, the idea of old fashioned gifts when an orange was considered a reasonable present, and contrasting with the complexity of modern life (she says, commenting on a blog) I like the beauty of things like fruit, and candles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, talking about oranges being concidered a reasonable present traditionally, takes me to another German tradition. The children have to put boots out for St. Nicholas before they go to bed on the 5th of December and they used to get oranges, and nuts in them if they were good and twigs and coal if they were naughty.

    ReplyDelete